Prince Alwaleed showed off the comforts of his gold-accented private office, dining room and kitchen, which was fully stocked with his preferred vegetarian meals.
In the corner of his office sat tennis shoes, which he said he used regularly for exercise. A television played business news programs, and a mug with an image of his own face on it was perched on the desk.
The release of Prince Alwaleed, whose net worth has been estimated by Forbes magazine at $17 billion, is likely to reassure investors in his global business empire as well as in the Saudi economy broadly.
Dozens of princes, senior officials and top businessmen were detained when Crown Prince Mohammed launched his purge in early November, shocking Saudis who never imagined the business elite or royalty could come under close scrutiny.
Allegations against Prince Alwaleed included money laundering, bribery and extorting officials, a Saudi official told Reuters at the time.
He is also known for his outspoken views on politics — making headlines in 2015 when he called Donald Trump a “disgrace” on Twitter during the U.S. election campaign.
The prince said he was able to communicate with family members and executives at his business during his time in detention.
Asked why he ended up held in the hotel and became one of its longest-serving detainees, he said: “There’s a misunderstanding and it’s being cleared. So I’d like to stay here until this thing is over completely and get out and life goes on.”
“We have now a new leadership in Saudi Arabia, and they just want to cross all the Ts and dot all the Is. And I said: ‘Fine, that’s fine with me, no problem at all. Just go ahead.'”
Authorities said they aimed to reach financial settlements with most suspects and believed they could raise some $100 billion for the government this way — a huge windfall for the state, which has seen its finances squeezed by low oil prices.
In recent days there have been signs the purge is winding down. Several other prominent businessmen, including Waleed al-Ibrahim, owner of regional television network MBC, have been released, an official source told Reuters on Friday. Terms of any settlement were not revealed.
Prince Alwaleed said his own case was taking longer to conclude because he was determined to clear his name completely, but he believed the case was now 95 percent finished.
The prince said he was particularly upset by media reports that he had been sent to prison and tortured.
“It’s very unfortunate. I was planning to do an interview when I got out, which I think will be imminently.
“But I decided to accelerate the process and accept this interview today because these various rumors took place.
They’re unacceptable completely. They are just a bunch of lies.”
After freedom, the prince said, he plans to continue living in Saudi Arabia and getting back to the high-paced and complex challenge of juggling his global interests.
“I will not leave Saudi Arabia, for sure. This is my country. I have my family, my children, my grandchildren here. I have my assets here. My allegiance is not on the table.”